Saturday 14 September 2013

When a Cape is not a Cape



In the big and sprawling Cairo International Airport, there didn’t seem to be that many people around, the human density factor (HDF) being fairly low. On the plane, it’s a different story. The HDF has skyrocketed to sardine level. We’re flying to Frankfurt on a fully-booked jetliner. I notice two guys, massively big and tall, headed for the same row in which I’m sitting, and sure enough, they sit down, one of each side of me. Wedged between the Green Giant and Big Foot, I manage to watch a movie and catch a nap, feeling confident that should we crash, I’m so well cushioned on both sides that I’ll hit the ground totally intact. 

Two hours into the flight, breakfast is served. Both human air bags on either side of me are sound asleep. Carefully, without waking Sasquatch, I succeed in deploying the folding tray from its housing in the armrest, upon which the flight attendant deposits the meal. 

Operating a fork and knife competently, while your forearms are compressed against your rib cage, takes great skill which I don’t possess. I end up looking like a praying mantis with limp wrists, trying to flick bits of cheesy omelette into my mouth. I give up on the coffee when my lips fail to fully stretch across the six-inch gap between my face and the cup in my hand, stuck in midair at the end of my immobilized arm. The praying mantis will just have to remain thirsty and decaffeinated.

Once in Frankfurt, the plane stops on the tarmac and I’m instructed to stay in the aircraft until all the other passengers have left; a special bus will come to pick me up. Okay, I can handle a special bus, just as long as the metal bovine stays away. I’ve not gotten over the COW. I don’t think I ever will. 

A few minutes later, the “special bus” arrives, looking amazingly like a regular, normal bus. I clamber down the stairs and board the special-regular-normal-bus which takes me to a dark underground area resembling a mixture of parking lot and loading dock. I sincerely doubt there’ll be a red carpet and fanfare awaiting my arrival. From the look of my surroundings, I’d more likely be greeted by a forklift. 

We reach our destination and stop in front of a glass door leading to what looks like a waiting room. I exit the bus, take a seat in a wheelchair, and an airline employee rolls me to the waiting area in which the other wounded, injured, maimed, or otherwise malfunctioning passengers have accumulated. My passport and boarding pass are collected and I’m told to wait; someone will come to get me. I wait, watching the clock anxiously. We only have an hour between flights and this isn’t Egypt where planes and ships wait for people. 

To take my mind off the passing time, I watch the other passengers, hearing bits of conversations in a myriad of different languages with a lot of English and German peppered throughout. Someone’s flying to Bangalore; another is waiting for a flight to China; one passenger, sitting in a wheelchair and wearing shorts and flip flops is waiting for a flight to New York. Considering that it’s February, and consequently, it’s cold in New York, he’ll be in for quite a shock I suspect. It makes one wonder if this gentleman even looked at the weather report for his destination before leaving home.

I know I shouldn’t make fun of people’s clothing faux pas. Lord knows I’ve made a few in my time. A smile comes to my lips as I recall one such incident: the cape caper. A few years ago, I was in search of a cape. Not a Superman cape, you understand, but a normal, chic, and classy coat cape. They were in all the magazines and I thought they looked very elegant. So, I got it into my head that I wanted one in the worst way. I looked and shopped and hunted, but could never find the right one. 

Then one day, I walked into this large store, a home accessories and clothing store, and there it was, a whole rack full of capes. And it was just waiting for my excited little hands to go through it and pick out the perfect cape that would make me look glamorous. Had this been a movie, there would have been a ray of light, suddenly appearing out of nowhere, illuminating The Rack, and heavenly music playing in the background. 

With my breath still stuck in my throat and my hands shaking in anticipation, I started foraging through The Rack. Although the capes were a bit shorter than what I was looking for and more colourful—red, green, some even had gold-threaded designs on them—I kept going. Short and colourful was better than nothing. 

Selecting a dark green one, I decided to try it on to see how it fit. After successfully putting it around my shoulders and doing up the ties in the front, I went in search of a mirror. That’s when I started noticing the funny looks from the other customers and some of the staff. At the time, I figured they were jealous of how great I must look with my green velvety cape, and continued on my way down the aisle, toward the mirror, trying to look alluring and sophisticated.

It was when I looked at my reflection in the mirror that I realized what was going on. They weren’t capes. They were Christmas tree skirts, and I was wearing one of them. It only took a nanosecond before the full impact of the situation slammed into my brain like a ten megaton warhead on a ladybug. After parading around the store proudly wearing a Christmas decoration, I was now admiring myself in the mirror, in full view of all the security cameras in the place, which, I have no doubt, were busily recoding every embarrassing second of this event. 

I have no recollection of removing the Yuletide Shroud or fighting the intense desire to shred it instead of calmly returning it to its hanger and leaving the store, as I surely must have done. All I know is that I didn’t return to that store for several weeks. And to this day, I do not own a cape. 

Pulling me out of my reminiscing trance, a young lady comes to collect me. She takes off at a run, pushing the chair, weaving and swerving around pedestrians in a mad rush to get me to the departure gate on time. Just as the plane starts boarding, we reach the intended destination where I’m reunited with my travelling companions. Before I can thank my driver, she’s off with the now empty chair, running to collect another passenger. I’m impressed with her stamina, but even more so, I’m amazed that she manages to run the airport marathon in three-inch heels!

The last leg of the trip is uneventful. Luckily, the plane is mostly empty so we get to stretch out and pick whichever seat we want, away from Yetis and Giants. The few times that I have to use the washroom, several pairs of eyeballs follow my progress. I think I’m even being timed. I can imagine that, past the allowed time, the cry of Red alert! General quarters! Battle stations!, accompanied by the sound of assorted bells and klaxons would resound throughout the aircraft. 

We land in Toronto without incident and zip through customs, an airline employee chaperoning me all the way. He helps me gather my luggage and delivers me to the shuttle service desk where I order my ride home.

No comments:

Post a Comment